10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2010 6:55 AM by husamothman RSS

nmap.nasl issue in web gui

Good evening all,

I've just run a couple of nmap scans and I'm looking to import the grepable (-oG) results of those scans into Nessus. I did some research and found out I needed to add the nmap.nasl plugin into the plugins directory which I've done. There was another step after this which talked about recompiling or using a 'build.exe' file to rebuild the plugins, but I couldn't find that executable to run, so I restarted the server but the Nmap NASL wrapper plugin does not show up. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

• Re: nmap.nasl issue in web gui

forgot to mention that I'm running Windows XP and Nessus v. 4.2.2

jedi

deleted

I'm not sure how that got deleted, but it didn't answer my question anyway. I realize that nmap can't be called to scan through nessus on windows xp, but i'm sure it can be used to import the results into nessus. also, please refrain from saying that windows isn't the best platform to portscan from, i've never had a problem running nmap on XP, just having trouble getting the results imported. Thanks.

jedi

3ngl1shB0b wrote:

I'm not sure how that got deleted, but it didn't answer my question anyway. I realize that nmap can't be called to scan through nessus on windows xp, but i'm sure it can be used to import the results into nessus.

i deleted it as when i re-read your question i realised you only wanted to import results, not run nmap.

also, please refrain from saying that windows isn't the best platform to portscan from

its been well documented that the design of the tcp stack and how windows (mainly xp, 2003 is slightly better) handles half-open connections and memory allocation, is sub-optimal for portscanning. hell the udp stack is almost completely broken, and don't get me started on that firewall! a 64-bit linux 2.6 is the way to go.

i've never had a problem running nmap on XP, just having trouble getting the results imported. Thanks.

just because steve job's iphone4 works fine, doesn't mean there aren't reception problems......

Renaud

build.exe is deprecated. What you want to do when you add/edit plugins on windows is to:

- Stop the Nessus service

- Start nessusd.exe -t as administrator

- Stop it

- Start the Nessus service

And Nmap should show up in your list of port scanners

-rd